California State University Maritime Academy
Classification – Information Technology Consultant – Career level
Time base – Full-Time
This recruitment will remain open until filled. A review of applications will begin Monday, October 16 and the review period may end at any time thereafter.
ABOUT THE CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY MARITIME ACADEMY:
Established in 1929, California State University Maritime Academy, a campus of the California State University, is the only degree-granting maritime academy on the West Coast. Located on a scenic waterfront site in Vallejo, the campus serves a student population of approximately 1100 undergraduates and 50 graduate students. The campus currently offers undergraduate degrees in Mechanical Engineering, Facilities Engineering Technology, Marine Engineering Technology, Marine Transportation, Global and Maritime Studies, and Business Administration. A master’s degree in Transportation and Engineering Management is offered as well as a number of extended learning programs and courses.
POSITION SUMMARY AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Simulation Technician, reporting to the Director of Simulation, must install, maintain, and troubleshoot systems in support of simulation education, training and assessment for both undergraduate and professional level courses, as well as the use of simulators for maritime research. This position is dedicated to Simulation core functions that include network, server, desktop and application administration and support; monitoring and analysis; equipment services, and systems integration within the Simulation environment. Responsibilities include:
• Desktop Operating System Maintenance: Monitor and maintain operating and simulation systems to ensure minimal interruption and maintain maximum system availability.
o Diagnose and resolve system operating systems and program failures
o Develop and execute test schemes and diagnostic procedures
o Work with maintenance vendor to develop and implement solutions specific to simulation needs
o Maintain necessary documentation for work processes
o Develop and execute disaster recovery best practices
• Analysis/Performance Monitoring: Analyze and monitor network activity to ensure optimal network operation.
o Monitor network usage, traffic and performance
o Monitor server, workstation and base application systems
o Provide analytical feedback for all simulation infrastructures for system availability, reliability and security. Analytical feedback will be based on CSU-wide compliance efforts and Cal Maritime best practices and standards.
o Provide feedback and recommendations based on monitoring of results
• Control/Security: Maintain appropriate levels of security as well as monitoring of controls of all simulation equipment.
o Install, configure and maintain firewall routers for maintenance vendor remote access to stand alone systems
o Maintain network and systems security as per best practices
• Network Administration: In consultation with Central IT, administration of assigned simulation infrastructure resources to optimize services and access to simulation-related networks, workstations and servers.
o Install, configure and maintain network, server and workstation equipment as well as operating systems
o Simulation infrastructure troubleshooting
o Maintain and update necessary documentation for network layouts, diagrams and data flow charts
o Maintain ISP connectivity to simulation labs
o Consult with Network Administrators on firewall policies for simulations
• Hardware Operation and Maintenance: Ensure that equipment and systems in assigned areas are in good condition and are properly maintained.
o Perform preventative maintenance, equipment alignment and calibration
o Replace or repair worn parts
o Evaluate replacement alternatives
o Perform equipment and system setup (including necessary interconnections) and performance monitoring
o Maintain technical shop facilities, inventory, repair logs and/or work order systems
o Maintain operating manuals
o Consult with Central IT as needed for hardware maintenance
• Physical Installation: Perform the installation of equipment and/or systems in a timely manner ensuring appropriate installation and connections.
o Assist in planning and implementing installations and/or facility layouts
o Install and test PC workstations, printers and other peripherals
o Perform physical installation (e.g. wiring, cables, microwave/satellite communications modules, components and sound systems and necessary interface cards)
o Document and/or log equipment/system installations and/or modifications
o Move or relocate equipment
o Plan, estimate and order equipment and materials necessary for project completion
o Ensure compliance with building and/or safety codes
• System Software: Provide PC/workstation support for hardware and systems software interfaces.
o Install and configure standard operating and network systems and integrate them with related systems
o Ensure system integrity between hardware and operating systems
o Troubleshoot errors in system operations and related networks
o Perform software and hardware modifications
o Maintain and support hardware and software for stand-alone systems
o Perform Local Area Network (LAN) and system backups
o Administer and maintain LAN, file server, and/or network operating system
o In consultation with Central IT, patch workstations and servers as per Microsoft best practices
• Provide simulation technology support for Training Ship Golden Bear during summer cruise period. Such support may include after-hours phone or email troubleshooting and/or travel to meet the vessel at one or more of the ports of call. Valid U.S. Passport required.
• Out-of-state travel may be required to receive vendor specific training necessary for effective job performance and keeping abreast of technological developments in the simulations field.
• A background check (including a criminal records check) must be satisfactorily completed before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
• The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, educational technology, communications, or related fields, OR similar certified coursework in applicable fields of study. Relevant experience may be substituted for equivalent education on a year for year basis.
• Ability to define procedures for ongoing administration and maintenance.
• Ability to maintain materials, inventory, and technical references and administer system security practices.
• Knowledge of system utilities, features, installation and maintenance procedures, and general operation.
• Basic knowledge of data and file structures, database systems and related utilities, operating systems, and communication interface programs.
• Ability to perform system, database, and network maintenance tasks and to use standard software packages.
• Knowledge of local area network system configuration, protocols, and/or transmission media.
• Ability to analyze and troubleshoot system connection and interface malfunctions.
• General knowledge of operating systems and hardware for problem identification and analysis.
• Knowledge of copyright laws and industry standards.
• Demonstrated ability to assist others in completing work assignments including the ability to provide basic work direction and training.
• Understand Windows Server Operating systems such as Windows 2008, 2012, 2016 and Virtualization such as VMware, HyperV, XenServer.
• Specialized vendor specific training
• Basic knowledge of GIS
• Maritime background or experience
• Microsoft MCSE A+ rating
• VMware Certification
• Marine license or document
• Programing ability in C# and Java
• Familiarity with XML and SDLC
SALARY RANGE: $4,372 – $9,877 per month. Salary budgeted up to $5,500 per month and commensurate with education and experience.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Interested parties must submit the Cal Maritime Employment Application, a cover letter and resume. Apply on-line at http://www.csum.edu/web/hr/careers. Based upon a review of applications and accompanying documents, only those persons whose qualifications best match job requirements will be interviewed. Applicants selected for an interview will be notified of interview appointments by telephone or email.
BENEFITS: The California State University Maritime Academy offers a broad range of benefits for qualifying positions including medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurances, pension (CalPERS), tuition fee waiver, vacation and sick leave.
ELIGIBILITY TO WORK: Applicants must provide proof of U.S. citizenship or authorization to work in the United States within three days of the date of hire.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individuals with a Disability